We’re a Certified B Corp!
What it means.
B Corp is essentially a rigorous certification for businesses that actively create social and environmental benefits for others, in addition to generating profits. Inc. magazine describes certified B Corporations as “companies that have reached the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance.” More than 3,700 companies have become certified B Corps since B Lab (the nonprofit that certifies companies as B Corporations) was first established in 2006, and B Corps now exist in over 74 countries. You probably know a few of the most popular ones: Patagonia, Ben & Jerry’s, Danone, Warby Parker, Change.org and Seventh Generation. Mangrove was honored to join the ranks of these certified B Corps in November, 2016.
We also became a legal Benefit Corporation in California in January 2017 which is a corporate status that solidifies our commitment to our B Corp values and mission-driven business model.
Measuring our impact.
To become B Corps, businesses must prove that they care as much about society and the environment as they do about profits. The B Impact Assessment determines a score for every business that participates in the Assessment in the following categories: Environment, Workers, Customers, Community, and Governance. You can read a brief review of our Impact Assessment on our blog and check out our B Corp profile to learn more about our score.
Read our impact reports from years past:
Here are just a few of the ways we are making an impact:
- Donate 1% of annual sales to various environmental and social justice charities
- Donate a percentage of pro bono hours to local charities
- Bank with Beneficial State Bank, another local, mission-driven Certified B Corp
- Have a formal screening process to evaluate the practices of our major suppliers
- Prioritize and offer a sliding scale to clients who are categorized as purpose-driven, minority or female-owned, or nonprofit organizations
- Prioritize working with vendors who are categorized as purpose-driven, minority or female-owned, or nonprofit organizations
- Have a formal commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Part of spreading the message of business as a force for good is supporting the B Corp community through collaboration and by sharing best practices. That’s why we also offer a 15% discount to our fellow B Corps for our design and development services.
Want to learn more about B Corps? Take the quick Impact Assessment for free! We love sharing our experiences in becoming a B Corp, being part of the community, and inspiring others to join us.