Originally published June, 2019
The web facilitates connection. It can create a more equitable and just world. Websites raise global awareness of issues that concern us all. Websites help groups who are geographically separated but involved in similar struggles connect with and support each other. Websites help level the playing field for businesses owned by women* and people of color, increasing the strength with which they compete for customers.
At the same time, the technology industry is infamously inequitable. Women, people of color, and other marginalized folks have traditionally struggled to enter into and advance in software and website development roles.
Mangrove’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion has two major components.
- We commit, as a company, to using our skills and position in the industry to amplify the power of the web as a tool for equity and justice.
- We commit, as a company, to take specific actions to reverse tech industry employment inequities and increase diversity however we can.
Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is driven by the following beliefs:
- Everyone deserves access to important information on the web.
- Everyone deserves an inclusive user experience on the web.
- Greater diversity in the tech industry promotes innovation, creativity, and quicker problem solving.
- Every human has the right to autonomy in their work and life via:
- Earning compensation at a living wage
- Developing a flexible work schedule
- Living a healthy and productive life by one’s own standards
- Each Mangrove client has the right to an inclusive experience.
- Our clients are change-makers who do good work, and we provide the best platform to ensure their success.
Our DEI Work To-Date
1. The web as a tool for diversity, inclusion, and equity
- Our annual business goals call for us to achieve a percentage of revenue from businesses owned by women*, people of color, and people from other marginalized groups. Another goal calls for us to achieve a percentage of revenue from purpose-driven organizations, which include clients that work to further local and global diversity, equity and inclusion.
- We are held accountable to these goals via our standing as a certified B Corp and Benefit Corporation, and must report each year on progress. These business goals help us ensure that our services reach those who need it the most.
- In order to reach local and global audiences, our clients need a secure, high performing online presence to continue to grow with the digital age. We stay on top of best practices for performance, security, accessibility, and user experience — and use those best practices on our clients’ projects.
- In 2018, we added a service offering to conduct website audits for compliance with ADA accessibility standards.
- We offer other services that we believe are directly related to the power and effectiveness of a website — and therefore the power and strength of the client’s message. These additional services include website content strategy and search engine optimization.
2. Addressing tech industry inequities
- We actively recruit developers who identify as female or non-binary, people of color, and anyone who identifies as belonging to historically marginalized groups. Our owner and employees volunteer time to organizations whose missions aim to increase diversity in the tech industry.
- In our hiring process we treat all developers equally as they enter our team in terms of how they are on-boarded and how their wage is determined.
- Mangrove strives to retain high-quality employees and contractors by creating a positive work environment that is inclusive, equitable, and flexible to meet each individual’s needs.
- We provide a 100% remote and flexible work schedule and encourage getting outdoors and getting away from the screen.
- We believe our contractors should work the number of hours that works for them, during times that work for them, to ensure that their work with us is driven by genuine energy and passion.
Our DEI Next Steps
- In 2019, we will develop key performance indicators to gauge compliance with diversity, equity, and inclusion goals. We will self-report our compliance via our Annual Reports.
- In 2019, we will update our own company website to add the foundations necessary to bring our website up to the standards set by the Web Accessibility Initiative. Our goal for 2020 will be to bring mangrove-web.com into close compliance with the WAI Level A.
- In 2019, we will make additional efforts to attract qualified website developers who identify as women, people of color, or are from other marginalized groups.
- In 2020, we will survey our employees, contractors, clients, and vendors on a wide variety of demographic data, to get a clear picture of who is represented. From those surveys and conversations, we will develop a 5-year DEI Vision Statement
We feel incredibly lucky to work with amazing clients whose work is changing the world. Their work transforms communities by addressing some of the most challenging social, environmental, and political issues of today. We’re proud to help them spread their message and reach a global audience so they can continue to make the world a better place. When our clients celebrate milestones, we’re right alongside them and have the pleasure of seeing their businesses continue to do more good in the world.
Maiya Holliday, Marie Koesnodihardjo, and Megan Yarnall
June 12, 2019
*Any mention of “woman” or “women” in this statement also applies to a broad spectrum of gender identities, including cis-gender, transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming individuals.