Design-oriented Front End developer for purpose-driven remote team
Part Time + 100% Remote // Posted June 20, 2020, applications accepted on a rolling basis
Mangrove Web Development is a woman-owned website design and development company, and a certified B Corp. Our mission is to build websites that amplify the work of change-making organizations and increase the competitive power of businesses owned by historically marginalized people. Within our own organization, our mission is to expand tech career opportunities for women and people of color.
We strongly encourage women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply for this position.
We are looking for a design-oriented front end developer to work remotely for our Oakland, CA based web development business. Ideally you are experienced in web development are interested working alongside a diverse and collaborative growing team.
We really care about what we do and how we do it, and are looking for the right person who is passionate about our work, values and team.
Location: not important, however you must regularly be available at least 4hrs/day during PST business hours (9-5pm PST M-F).
List of Tasks Include
- (mostly) WordPress-based development, front-end implementation of mockups from PSD/Invision/Zeplin/Figma
- Light project management for client website development projects
- Handle (some) client inquiries through our email ticketing system. (this position is mostly development, but there will be some client interaction)
- Interface with customers to clarify project details or acquire assets
- QA websites for fellow developers and provide feedback
- Attend internal and client meetings (video) as needed
- solid front end skills (mainly HTML/CSS, JS, React) – confidence implementing designs in a responsive, proportional, detailed way
- 2yrs+ WordPress development experience
- custom WP theme development experience
- basic experience with git or another version control system
- good design eye – ability to look at a mockup vs live website and determine what changes are necessary to reach a finished product
- ability to take initiative, creatively solve problems, and get things done in a timely manner
- stellar attention to detail and organizational skills
- ability to work well in a virtual team
- excellent English skills, comfort in communicating with clients by email
- reliability and commitment to being in communication while actively working on projects. Hours can be very flexible as long as there is some overlap time and check ins with the team.
- ability to prioritize tasks and deliver on time (or communicate the need for extensions when appropriate)
- a passion for creating and coding for good, and the desire to work hard to support your fellow teammates and our clients. And, in turn, your teammates will work hard for you to give you a break whenever you need it.
Nice to Have
- experience with CSS preprocessors (SCSS/SASS)
- experience coding in a dev team
- experience working in an agile environment
- experience with API integrations
- WP plugin development
- other CMS knowledge (Shopify, WebFlow, Squarespace)
- A/B Testing experience
- GTM / GA experience
Our tools include:
- Remote connecting: Slack, Zoom, google hangouts, gDrive
- Project Mgt: Asana, GitLab, Trello, Harvest (may vary depending on client project)
- Design: Invision, Zeplin, Sketch, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Figma (developers need to export from these tools, but do not need to be able to design anything in them 😉
- Dev Stack: Docker, Webpack, WordPress
Ideally around 20hrs/week. There is flexibility in schedule but you must be available to overlap with a PST time-zone at least 4hrs/day during PST business hours (9-5pmPST M-F).
Compensation hourly negotiable.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We strongly encourage women, Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
A majority of our developers are self-taught. You do not need a degree to be successful in this role, but you should have the necessary skills outlined above or have a desire to learn them quickly.
Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
Next Steps to Apply
The Interview Process:
- Fill out the application form below.
- We will review your application.
- If we are interested in learning more, you will hear from us within a week about scheduling an interview. Interviews are conducted via video chat, so please ensure you are in a quiet place with a stable internet connection.
- If we would like to continue the conversation, we may ask for more work samples or references who can speak to your work ethic.
- If we would like to hire you, we will make a formal offer with your job description, a set hourly rate, and a set start date.