What it Means
- The B Corp is essentially a rigorous certification for businesses that actively create social and environmental benefits for others, in addition to generating profits. More than 1,800 companies have become certified B Corps since B Lab (the nonprofit that certifies companies as B Corporations) was first established in 2006, and they exist in 50 countries. In the US, B Corps are recognized in 30 states, and more are on the way. You probably know a few of the most popular ones: Ben & Jerry’s, Patagonia, Warby Parker, and Etsy to name a few.
- The B Impact Assessment determines a score for every business that participates in the Assessment in the following categories: Environment, Workers, Customers, Community, and Governance. You can read a brief review of our Impact Assessment on our blog and check out our B Corp profile to learn more about our score.
- Part of spreading the message of business as a force for good is supporting the B Corp community through collaboration and by sharing best practices. That’s why we offer a 10% discount to our fellow B Corps for our design and development services.
Here are just a few of the ways we are making an impact:
- Donate a percentage of pro bono hours to local charities
- Bank with Beneficial State Bank, another local, mission-driven Certified B Corp
- Have a formal screening process to evaluate the practices of our major suppliers
- Prioritize and offer a sliding scale to clients who are categorized as purpose-driven, minority or female-owned, or nonprofit organizations
- Prioritize working with vendors who are categorized as purpose-driven, minority or female-owned, or nonprofit organizations
- Have a policy to donate 2% of annual profits to various social justice charities
- Have a policy to donate 3% of our web maintenance program profits to environmental conservation initiatives and the preservation of mangrove trees
Want to learn more about B Corp? We love sharing our experiences in becoming a BCorp, being part of the community, and inspiring others to join us. Send us a message so we can chat about it!