Here’s the thing: Working with professional writers to develop your website content is almost always a great idea. We especially recommend this for clients who don’t have a go-to marketing team at the ready, or in cases where existing content could use a refresh. Most development companies are strictly focused on design and dev. The copy that lives on your site is the client’s domain, so the web team can focus on aesthetic and functionality.
At Mangrove, we’ve noticed that our clients often want support with content development. Writing about yourself or your own company is tough, easy to put off, and can be hard to fit into your team’s busy schedule. We know firsthand — we felt the pain of this process while reworking our own site before enlisting the invaluable support of our content experts. So we’ve partnered with just the right people to help you define your brand strategy and create content that puts your plan in motion.
Even for you writers-at-heart, there are benefits to asking for guidance. Consider that writing content is the content developer’s job. They understand the intricacies of web writing. They are experts in grammar and spelling, style rules, and readability, all the unsexy stuff that can make a huge difference. They’re also new to your business, as most of your site visitors will be. Content developers can lend fresh eyes to ideas and phrases that you’ve potentially been using for years.
We suggest that you use a content developer if you have a marketing strategy in place and need help executing it.
A content developer can work with you to:
- Establish or enhance the voice and tone of your website. The voice is kind of who your business is, while the tone [of voice] can change depending on the audience or scenario.
- Create or revise messaging for short- and long-form content such as blog posts, product descriptions, services, company bios, and events.
- Use SEO best practices to encourage better ranking in search results. Be heard.
- Avoid delays. Sites in development need content so that we can test functions and stay on schedule. Delegate to a writer who can fill in the gaps of your busy schedule.
- Craft shareable types of content that can be distributed via social media. Use this content to increase exposure and drive traffic to your website.
If you need content help, but you don’t know how the content fits into your business goals, press pause. Don’t use a content developer just yet. You could use a content strategist.
A content strategist works with you to:
- Plan, plan, plan. Remember, marketing isn’t a strategy, but marketing does need a strategy to be successful.
- Focus on the big picture by aligning your company’s content within your brand and goals. Sometimes a content strategist will manage the production of your content and help you measure how that content performs.
We can make content services available to you as part of your overall development and design package. And know that you always have final edit. Your site, your brand — you’re the boss (but don’t have to do it alone!).
Want to learn more? Let’s talk.
A Certified B Corp, Mangrove is a woman-owned website design and development company with a diverse, talented team distributed around the globe. We’ve been building websites since 2009 that amplify the work of change-making organizations and increase the competitive power of businesses owned by historically marginalized people.
If you found this post helpful, subscribe to our monthly newsletter for notice of future posts and other news from us.